So tonight was another guff cooking adventure. I decided to make tomato soup using a recipe I found on the Food Network as my template. It actually came out really well and I'm pretty happy with it. I just hope everyone else likes it too.
soup is really hard to take pictures of...
- 2 pound can chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 1 white onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tbs dry basil leaves
You'll need to:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Strain the chopped canned tomatoes, reserving the juices, and spread onto a baking sheet, season with salt and pepper, to taste, drizzle with 1/4 cup of the oil and roast until caramelized, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat remaining olive oil over low heat.
- Add the carrots, onion and garlic, cook until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the roasted chopped canned tomatoes, reserved tomato juices and bay leaves
- Simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in the basil
- Puree in a blender or food processor until as liquidey as your blender will blend it
- Add water until the soup reaches the consistency you want. I added 2 quarts water to 2 quarts tomato soup.